During those times is when motivation can become very low. When you have any goal you are trying to achieve, there will be setbacks. It takes work to maintain a high motivation to want to keep going. When it comes to diet and exercise, there are some key things to keep in mind to stay on top of your game.
1. Find your heroes - There are many people who have been where you are and have managed to get into the best shape of their lives while facing incredible odds. Find out how they did it and use them as your source of inspiration.
2. Immerse yourself in the topic - Health and Fitness books, magazines, and tv shows are everywhere. Become an expert in it. Read and gain knowledge on the best food to eat and the most effective exercises to perform. When you immerse yourself in the topic, it becomes a natural part of your life.
3. Network with other health minded people - Surround yourself by others who enjoy health and fitness. They could be family, friends, or even health and fitness clubs in your area. It is much easier to stay motivated when you have others who understand and push you to stay on track.
4. Reward yourself - When you reach small milestones, reward yourself with new workout gear, clothes, or shoes. Whatever makes you happy.
5. Have fun - Don't view weight loss and getting into shape as a chore. When you do that, it just becomes more of a struggle. Take it one day at a time and do your best to stay positive. Remember that each day you eat well and/or exercise, you are doing yourself a huge favor.
Finally, do not stress over what you see on the scale. So many people worry so much about what the scale says when they step on it that they dismiss all of the other progress they have made. A good idea is not to weigh-in every day. Once a week ought to be enough and will allow you to see much greater progress from week to week.